Friday, October 1, 2010

Putting off the inevitable...

I know I've got to do it, how much longer can I put it off.  I really shouldn't allow someone else's opinion to influence me but it has.  Experience has taught me that sometimes the thing you're dreading the most is quite enjoyable once you do it.  So I've promised myself as soon as I've had a shower, done the dishes, put on some washing, done the ironing, and collected the dog business that I'll get started.  What is it?? "The Slap" by Christos Tsiolkas.  I borrowed it from a friend last summer, started it and then gave it back unfinished.  It was a struggle and because no-one else had liked it I gave up.  Now fate in the form of bookclub has bought it back to me.  So today is the today and fingers crossed that first impressions are wrong.

If you're looking for a book to read try "Room" by Emma Donoghue.  One review is "Room is a book to read in one sitting" and quite right a couple of us in bookclub did.  It's all about Jack and Ma who live in one room - eleven feet by eleven feet.  You'd like to think that it's a made up story but recent times have proven that it happens.  It was one of those books that I had to read a page in the middle and a paragraph at the end just to make sure that I could continue to read it.  Fortunately neither cheat gave away the ending. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...