Friday, July 8, 2011

"Monique and the mango rains" by Kris Holloway

Our new book for bookclub this month is "Monique and the mango rains" by Kris Holloway. 




The story:

"Monique Dembele saves lives and dispenses hope in a place where childbirth is a life-and-death matter.  Her unquenchable passion to improve the lot of the women and children in her West African village is matched by her buoyant humour in the face of an unhappy marriage and backbreaking work.

This is the deeply affecting story of the rare friendship between a young aid volunteer and an inspirational midwife who defies tradition and becomes - too early in her own life - a legend."


I don't usually enjoy non-fiction books, so we'll see what this one is like.

I haven't done much reading lately so my goal these holidays is to read a minimum of 2 books...and tidy the study...and paint the family room/kitchen area...and...and...and...the list is endless - shame the holidays only go for 2 weeks.


4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, being a Midwife, I like the sound of that book.

duchess_declutter said...

You have interesting books at your book club Judith. I'm in one also which was started off by local library, now we run ourselves. It's great socially, and now that we are selecting our own books it's getting better. Before we were getting all the old dud ones that had been around a while. I'll be interested to see what this one of yours is like. Can't say that I read much non-fiction either - apart from cookbooks! cheers Wendy

Judith said...

I've bought this book Rebecca, so I'll lend it to you when I've finished if you.

I love cookbooks Wendy, have way too many of them. :) How many people in your bookclub? We keep ours to 6 people.

duchess_declutter said...

number of people vary - never any more than 6 anyway. Sometimes only 2 or 3!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...