Monday, September 5, 2011

"Olive Kitteridge" by Elizabeth Strout

Picked up the next book for bookclub today.  I love it when I can borrow it from the library, although sometimes I wish I had bought it so I could keep it.

This month's book is - "Olive Kitteridge" by Elizabeth Strout.

Back cover says:

"Olive Kitteridge:  indomitable, compassionate and often unpredictable.  A retired schoolteacher in a small coastal town in Maine, struggling to make sense of the changes in her life as she grows older.  She is a woman who sees into the hearts of other, discerning their triumphs and tragedies.

We meet her stoic husband, bound to her in a marriage both broken and strong, and a young man who aches for the mother he lost - and whom Olive comforts by her mere presence, while her own son feels tyrannized by her overbearing sensitivities.

A penetrating, vibrant exploration of the human soul in need, Olive Kitteridge will make you laugh, nod in recognition, wince in pain and shed a tear or two."

Apparently the book is a collection of 13 connected stories about Olive and her immediate family and friends so it will be interesting to see how it flows as I read it.

It has been published under another name as well "On the Coast of Maine". It won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2009, and was a finalist for the 2008 National Book Critics Circle Award.

As usual I'm looking forward to reading it but...the print size is really small and while I don't have glasses yet sometimes I think the time is getting near when I will need them.








No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...